Thursday, September 23, 2010

Did you know cockroaches fly?

Did anyone know that cockroaches fly? Because I learned that this week. My companion and I went to the market at centro to buy some fruit. There was something that landed or fell on my head. Then in fell onto my pants. I saw it, but I didn´t quite realize what it was. It was a cockroach. Like the size of my thumb. Mind you that my hands are somewhat big. Then it fell to the ground then flew away. I asked the girl that was attending us what that "bichu" (creature/thing) was. She said it was a barata (cockroach). I proceeded to ask her, "Baratas voam?" (Cockroaches fly?), she was surpised and kind of laughed at me and responded 'You didn´t know that?!'. That same day I saw another cockroach fly and I was still in shock from what I had learned. Needless to say, people were laughing at my naivety that day.

Also, this time of the year the weather is getting hotter, and apparently the big spiders leave the fields and enter the houses. Fortunately, our house was bug/spider proofed not too long ago. Also, I have a goal to make real P.O.G. (passion, orange, guava juice) because I have access to all three fruits. So, we´ll see how that goes. I´ll try to remember to keep you updated on how that goes.

As far as preaching the gospel goes, things are picking up here in Camocim. We´re working all day long and we're double booked a lot of the time. We have to do divisions/splits a lot to cover all of our visits. The thing that is amazing though is to see the changes in people. We´ve been working with a family lately that had some relational problems, but as we´ve been teaching them about the gospel and teaching them how to apply the principles of the gospel to their family they have changed dramatically. At first they were having some problems, then the problems got worse to the point of them almost splitting up, but then they applied what we had been teaching them. It is truly amazing, the healing power of The Gospel of Jesus Christ. It´s a testimony to me how real the gospel is, and how important it is to live it´s teachings. I know that what I am teaching is true. I know that The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is truly Christ´s church. There is no possible way for it not to be. I love the gospel of Christ, I love my God and my Savior, and I am so happy to me an instrument in His hands to serve my brothers and sisters. I love you my friends and family.

-Elder Samuel H. Chiba


No comments:

Post a Comment