Saturday, March 13, 2010

Leaving the MTC

Hello People!!!
I am leaving the CTM next week for Teresina. I´m totally excited!!!

We went proselyting in down town São Paulo. It was awesome! Such a good experience. The first person E. Epperson and I found was awesome. Unfortunately I don´t remember his name, but while we were talking to him (in Português mind you) the Spirit was so strong. About ten minutes later we tracted into this man named Tiago(James pronounced Chee-ah-goh). We talked to him for about 45 at least, it was a really long time. He was in the middle of a park and mostly he talked to us, and we tried to understand what he was saying. Eventually, I had to tell him that we had to go, but I bore my testimony to him. We left on a good note I think. So, by this time we have 4 more books and a little less than a half hour to give them away. So, we attempted several times and wandered around for a bit no luck. We prayed and then started to head toward the direction of the meeting spot. We saw some people struggling to push carts up the hill, so we took the opportunity to help them, and we gave the two guys each um Livro de Mórmon. They were really appreciative and accepted the books. Many people tell us that they don´t have money or ask how much it costs. And we tell them it´s free and a present for them. And they are happy.

After we were done proselyting, our instructor walked us around down town. São Paulo is crazy busy. It reminds me of a mix between San Francisco, New York, and Washington D.C.. Some fun fruits that I´ve tried since I´ve been here. Maracujá (passion fruit) which has a really nice flavor but it´s really sour! When you open it up there is just seeds and nector inside and it looks like frog eggs, but smells amazing. I´ve also had real guava i think the name for that is guaiaba, but i could be mistaken. It´s tasty, but the seeds are really hard. Papaya, pineapple, those are also good. I had some awesome juice a couple weeks ago. It was made from a fruit called graviola, and I´ve never heard of this fruit before in my life, but it´s awesome.

Lately, I´ve been studying a lot about the Atonement of Jesus Christ. I am so amazed at how much love He has for all of us. He took upon himself our sins, our mistakes, our pain, our sorrow, and our heartache. And I know that if we turn to Him, we can be forgiven of our sins, and also He can heal our pain and heartache. One of my favorite verses in the Book of Mormon helped me realize this. It´s in the book of Mosiah chapter 24 verse 14. What happening in at that time is that there are a group of people that are in bondage and they are pouring their hearts out to the Lord to help them. And what the verse says is that ´I the Lord do visit my people in their afflictions.´ There is more to it, but I don´t have it memorized. And it is because of the Atonement of Jesus Christ that He can ease our burdens. There is also a scripture in Isaiah 53:4-5 that gives some more insight to the scripture in Mosiah.

Anyway, I don´t have much time left, but I want you to know that Jesus Christ lives, and that He loves each and every one of us. I know that if we rely on the Savior we can find happiness and peace in our lives. I am so grateful for the opportunity that I have to serve Him, and I am honored that I am allowed to represent Him and His church. I love you all.
Love,
Elder Samuel H. Chiba

1 comment:

  1. I dont know who is manning this blog, but thank you for doing so. Its nice to be able to see how he is doing! Also it lightens my day. So, thanks!

    -Nate Pence

    ReplyDelete