Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Things Are Still Nice

So, good news with the language. Sometimes more often than not I can understand basicly what people are talking about. But also very often I have the question mark look on my face and people laugh because of my confusion. I don´t mind though.

Funny thing happened today. We went to the central part of the city to the post office and get our money, and we got some food while downtown. I was trying to order something, but I obviously couldn´t really express what I wanted very clearly, and the lady asked the other elders if I was from China. I´m still fascinated at the fact that people realize that I am Asian. I mean you all know I´m half Japanese because I´ve said it, so when you see me you know I´m Japanese, but normally people who see me think I´m Polynesian or Hispanic. It´s amazing.

Anyway, last week there was this freak rainstorm in the middle of the afternoon. And I mean it downpoured. We encountered the mother of one of our recently baptized members and I shared my umbrella with her. In seconds we were both half soaked. My companion who refuses to use an umbrella ever is always soaked whenever it rains. I´ve tried to share, but he says no. Anyway, my shoes were soaked, and I couldn´t where them for a few days. It was fun though. It never just sprinkles for a little bit. There is always a downpour after the little bit of rain. The other night I saw the wall of water headed for me as I quickly struggled to get my umbrella out of my backpack. That was also exciting.

Oh, by the way, the clouds here are amazing! I´ll try to take a picture some time. Also, I´ve never seen so much lightning in my life or experience so many power outages. Remember when California had those "rolling blackouts"? Well my friends, that was nothing compared to here. I tried a new fruit this week. It´s called ata. It´s pretty good actually. Different but good. Total of new fruits I´ve had here is about 8. I don´t remember all of their names though. Oh, and the mangos. Oh sweet mangos. The best mangos of my life I´ve had here. They are sooooo delicious! Also, the soda "Guaraná" is great. I´ve had a lot of that too. So, if you get the chance, go to a Brazilian restaurant and get some churrasco (shoohaskoo, Brazilian BBQ) and some Guaraná.

Ok, so more on the topic from last week. In 1820 in the North Eastern part of the U.S. there was a lot of religious excitement. Joseph Smith, a boy of the age of 14 at the time, was confused about which church was true. All of these churches preached about Salvation and used the Bible, but interepreted things very differently. He wanted to know which of the sects was true. So, one day he was reading in the Bible in James 1:5, which says "If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him. But let him ask in faith, nothing wavering…". So, he did as James counceled. He went off into the forrest to pray. A miraculous thing happened. God The Father and His son, Jesus Christ, appeared before him. They told him that none of the churches were true. So, God had a great task for Joseph. He was called by God to be a prophet.
Through Joseph Smith, God translated an ancient record written on gold plates that contained the history of the people in the Americas (or Native Americans). This ancient record is now called The Book of Mormon, and it´s pages contain the complete gospel of Jesus Christ. So, through Joseph Smith, God restored His gospel and His church. The authority to govern His church has been passed down from prophet to prophet, and today our current prophet is Thomas S. Monson. It´s so amazing! I love this gospel. I know it´s true and I know it´s true because I´ve received a witness that it is true through sincere prayer to my Father in Heaven. I know that if you pray to know it is true you will know also, but first you need to exercise some faith and pray. I love you all.

-Elder Samuel H. Chiba

No comments:

Post a Comment