Wednesday, April 6, 2011

General Conference and Surprise trip to Teresina

This past weekend was great. Honestly, I wasn't aware that General Conference was going to happen this past weekend, and I was kind of caught off guard, but it was amazing. It's always wonderful to hear the council of the prophet and apostles. There were some really inspiring talks and some things that I really needed to hear. It's really amazing that we have a living prophet.

Late Sunday night, I took a bus to Teresina in order to renew my visa! Yay! I'm legal again! It was a very brief trip. I and some other elders arrived early Monday morning, and then we went to the mission office and then to the federal police station. Then at 4 in the afternoon I and another elder took a bus back to Parnaiba and got back here around 11pm. It was a very short yet tiresome trip. But it was also very needed because I was kind of illegal for a little while, walking around with an expired visa. So, yesterday, I didn't have time to send an email home. There was barely time to find and eat lunch after dealing with visa issues. So, here I am.

Anyway, I'd would like to briefly address the importance and the blessing of having a modern day living prophet. Our current prophet is President Thomas S. Monson. If you consider the importance of prophets anciently, and consider the fact that God doesn't change, then the fact of a modern prophet wouldn't be to odd. In our world today we face many challenges that didn't exist anciently. Prophets, anciently, warned and counceled those in his charge. He prepared them for calamities and also taught them how to make it to live with our Heavenly Father again. How wonderful it is to have a prophet called by God to lead us and help us during our day. The heavens are open. God reveals His will to us still. I know that Thomas S. Monson is God's living prophet. It was truly great to hear him this past weekend. (here is a link to the Church website where you can watch General Conference http://lds.org/general-conference?lang=eng ) I know that the Messiah will come, and that if we follow the council of the prophet, we will be ready for when the Savior comes again. I love you, and hope you are doing well.


-Elder Samuel H. Chiba

No comments:

Post a Comment