Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Gosto do Vento (I like wind)

Things here in Camocim are very peaceful. The wind is especially nice, because the the sun is hot. But, it doesn´t get too warm. My tie get´s blown all over the place, which is pretty cool (literally), partially because I don´t have much hair to be blown around in the wind (especially after today, because I got my ears lowered like Keoki likes to say).

Fun story, while I was waiting for my companion to get his hair cut, an old man walks in (I´m pretty sure he was drunk) shakes my hand and gives me a big hug. Go figure, the cabeleiro was right next to a bar. Anyway, the old man sat down next to me and was looking through pictures of a magazine and seemed to pause at the advertizements for lingerie. After a while someone from the bar called him back, and before he left, he again took me by the hand and gave me a big hug. (just so you know, i´m twice the size of this man, maybe the same size while I´m sitting). That was a fun moment today.

I´ve been able to play the flute for various occasions, but only when President Dias is around, because he has a flute that he let´s me use. It´s been great to play. I played during the training in Teresina, during the Zone Conference last week, and at church on Sunday when Presidente visited. The church here is growing. It´s great! Elder Iglézia, who was serving as the branch president was released and a member of the branch was called to be the new branch president. WOOHOO!!! It´s so exciting.

Anyway, I have a challenge for everyone. The challenge is to read the Book of Mormon by December 1st. If you want to make it more challenging, I challenge you to read it in another language. I suppose I´m challenging you because I´m lazy in my reading of the Book of Mormon in Portuguese. I´ve been reading in English this whole time. I got to changer 11 in 1st Nephi by the end of my time in the CTM, and have only progressed to chapter 15 of 1st Nephi... I think. I study everyday, but my goal is to read the whole book in Portuguese by December 1st 2010. Also, for anyone who wants to strengthen their language skills (for those of you who are bilingual) read it in the language that you are "rusty" in. So, when you finnish the book, write me a letter and tell me how it went. Don´t forget to read the introduction! I know that the Book of Mormon is true and that it has the fullness of the gospel. I know that there are treasures of knowledge that you will find in it´s pages that will change your life. I know because my perspective on life changed once I actually read The Book of Mormon. I love you and hope you have a wonderful time reading and pondering.

Yours Truly,
Elder Samuel H. Chiba






No comments:

Post a Comment