Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Voting in Brasil and Vicios (Addictions)

Oi pessoal!
So, it´s voting time in Brasil, or maybe just in Ceará. I don´t know for certain. Unlike the U.S. voting here is mandatory. Also, the ways to advertise are pretty annoying. There are these cars that drive around with HUGE sound systems that play songs/jingles for the candidates. Every candidate has a different number. I didn´t realize it was because of voting at first. Hahahaha! I told my companion Élder Braga, "Man people here really like to sing about numbers." I think it was the following day, or some time after ward, I saw a banner on one of the loud campaigning cars, and it finally clicked. "Oh, it´s for elections!" The other night there was a huge rally in the streets. More like a parade of sorts with tons of motorcycles (not hogs, like honda and such, just regular motorcycles), those obnoxious music cars, and banners. It was a fun sight, but I felt bad for the people in the cars (they probably have hearing damage).

[After an experience with a church member's family I feel impressed to share something concerning Vicios (Addictions) ]
Addictive substances are terrible things. They destroy families, friendships, and your life. One of the things that we teach as missionaries is "The Word of Wisdom" (http://scriptures.lds.org/en/dc/89) which is a commandment that was given to the prophet Joseph Smith. It´s basically a guide of how to live a healthy life. We should eat in moderation and exercise. Also there are 5 basic things to avoid 1. Alcohol, 2. Tobacco, 3. Hot Drinks (coffee and tea [herbal tea is okay though]), 4. Illigal Drugs and abused perscriptions, and 5. Other Addictive substances. Some things seem like they may be innocent or harmless, but the reality is these things are addictive. Some are obviously bad like alcohol, drugs, and tobacco (if you don´t know the adverse effects of these, talk to your doctor or someone who knows about health). But, things like coffee and tea. What´s the harm? The truth is people gain a dependency on them. For example, "I can´t start my day without..." or "When I don´t drink ... I get a headache." And then a lot of people like to say, "But it´s been scientifically proven that...." so, my responce to that is "In the end, who is more correct? Who knows what is better for you? Some scientists? or God?" But the thing is my friends, I can say a lot of things. I only ask that you ask God for yourself if what I am saying is true. That you ask God the Eternal Father in the name Christ if the Book of Mormon is true. If the Book of Mormon is true, then Joseph Smith was a prophet called of God and he received relevations to bless our lives with more health. I know that The Word of Wisdom is truly a gift from our Heavenly Father. I know that it is true because I live a healthy life. I love you all.

Your Missionary,
Élder Samuel H. Chiba

1 Corinthians Chapter 3
16 Know ye not that ye are the atemple of God, and that the bSpirit of God dwelleth cin you?
17 If any man adefile the temple of God, him shall God destroy; for the temple of God is bholy, which temple ye are.

No comments:

Post a Comment