Monday, November 29, 2010

Make the Change

So, this week we had our Zone Conference and I also a leadership training. Aside from that nothing especially interesting happened. I was doing hanging my laundry up the other day, but unfortunately the cord broke loose and all of my clean white clothes fell to the wet and dirty ground. But, I wasn´t angry. It was more like a, "Well, that was unfortunate. Oh well. Hahahaha." kind of moment.

But anyway, for a while now I think I was a little depressed. I couldn´t figure out why. So, I talked with my mission president. Basically, he told me that I have to make the choice to change, or just do it. You know. I guess it was something that I had kind of forgotten. But, I applied what he said, and I´m really happy. We all pass through hard times. Whenever life is hard or whenever something bad happens we have a tendency to "give up". We say things like "It doesn´t matter what I do, it won´t work." or when we´re frustrated with someone "Nothing that I can do will make it better." But these responses and feelings are in fact wrong. Giving up never helped anyone. If we want a change in life or with our circumstances, we need to be the ones to make the change first. If life is hard, put on a smile and hope for the best.

Many people claim to be "realists" but in reality they are pessimists and expect the worst. In reality, expecting the worst is not a bad thing because in many instances the worst happens, but not always. For this reason we need to hope for the best but also expect the bad. Each day is a present. You can wake up and think to yourself "Poor me, my life is terrible." or you can wake up and say "Today is a new day, and I will make it good." No matter the outcome of the day we can always look back and laugh, good or bad. The things that have happened are in the past. The future is mysterious.... kind of. If you keep on the same track of self pity, the future is kind of obvious. It will continue to be bad. But that´s why we have the present. Like in the movie Kung Fu Panda, the old turtle said "Today is a gift, that is why it is called the present." What we choose to do today effects tomorrow. Choose to be happy. Choose to make tomorrow better. Make the change.

Dwelling in the past doesn´t help anyone either. The only thing good about the past, are the lessons that we can learn. Other than that, dwelling on it and being sad won´t help you go anywhere. The past will never change. Look forward to tomorrow. Make the change now to make tomorrow better.

In the long run, our life is but a small moment. Do you want to look back and say "My life was terrible." or "I lived a good life."? Sure, there will certainly be moments of trials and difficulties. But there is hope. We can always rely on the Savior to help us through. If we do all we can, the Savior will always be there to help us through our difficulties. Whatever they may be. In the book of Alma in The Book of Mormon, chapter 7 verses 11-13 says this...


11 And he shall go forth, suffering pains and aafflictions and btemptations of every kind; and this that the word might be fulfilled which saith he will ctake upon him the pains and the sicknesses of his people.
12 And he will take upon him adeath, that he may bloose the bands of death which bind his people; and he will take upon him their infirmities, that his bowels may be filled with mercy, according to the flesh, that he may know according to the flesh how to csuccor his people according to their infirmities.
13 Now the Spirit aknoweth all things; nevertheless the Son of God suffereth according to the bflesh that he mightctake upon him the sins of his people, that he might blot out their transgressions according to the power of his deliverance; and now behold, this is the testimony which is in me.

I know that He knows each of our pains and difficulties. Make the change to rely on the Savior and follow him. He will always be there to catch us when we fall. And He waits for us with his hands stretched out to receive us. We need to reach out to him as well. As we enter this Christmas season, remember what Jesus Christ did for each and everyone of us. Remember the true meaning of Christmas. I know He lives. I love you.

-Elder Samuel H. Chiba

No comments:

Post a Comment