Monday, November 1, 2010

Re-Elections

Well, we started an English course last week. I´m teaching basics and one of the sisters in my district is teaching an advanced class. We put some fliers and things up at a local college/university. So, that´s pretty fun. It´s pretty interesting how much you learn about your own language when learning another language or teaching your own.

This week, there hasn´t been too much excitement, aside from the election for the new president of Brasil yesterday. They had to do a revote a month after the elections occured because there were three candidates for president and none of them got more than 50 percent, so the two with the most votes had an extra month to send out their propoganda and debate. So, yesterday we had to go to the voting place because here in Brasil, it´s a law that everyone has to vote. So, I got to see how it´s done kind of. Actually, all the Brazilian missionaries do a "justification" because they are not able to vote, but you have to go to the location to vote in order to "justify." We went to a local school, and practically all of the classrooms were open to voting. They have an electronic voting system here. I asked one of the attendants if I could look and see what the machine was, and they said I could. Actually, they were confused at first until my companion told them that I was American. So, I got to see a Brazilian voting machine. My companion later told me, that I´m probably one of the only Americans to have seen one of those machines. Apparently, you can´t even look at one if you´re not Brazilian, or if you don´t have all your documents to vote. I´m not sure though. It was pretty interesting. It had a screen with numbers to the side. Then underneath the numbers there are three buttons. White, Correct, and End. 'Correct' if you put in the wrong numbers (there are a set of numbers that represent the people you are electing). 'End' for when you end.... And 'White' which is if you don´t know who to vote for you press white and you vote goes with the majority. Unfortunately, (my companion explained), the people think that when they press 'white' they are just putting in a blank vote rather than voting with the majority. Anyway, the new President of Brasil is the first female president of Brasil. Unfortunately, I don´t like politics. In fact I think that 90% of all politicians are corrupt (and I´m being lenient).

But that aside, some day the world will be a better place. That´s part of the purpose of missionary work. It´s to prepare the world for the Second Coming of the Savior. If you pay attention, you will see the signs of the second coming in the holy scriptures. One of the modern day Apostles of the Lord, Elder Dallin H. Oaks spoke about preparing for the Second Coming. Here is a link,

I know that Jesus Christ lives. I know that He will come again. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is truly His church. It´s important to remember not to delay the day of our repentance because no one knows the exact day, month, or year when our Savior will come again. I love you my beloved friends and family. Stay strong and do what you can to stay close to the Lord.
-Elder Chiba

No comments:

Post a Comment