Monday, January 31, 2011

The Brighter Side of Things

One of my most favorite foods is Japanese Curry and Rice. I´ve received some packs of curry to make Japanese curry in packages sent from my family. So, it´s kind of a really special thing for me, especially being away from home and from anything remotely close to a Japanese market. I´ve shared it though with my companion who has fallen in love with it, and some other friends and neighbors, until some started to ask me for the recipe. Unfortunately, it´s kind of one of those things that I needed the pre-prepared mix to make. So, I had to tell them that I didn´t have the means to teach them the recipe. But, I found a recipe online on how to make Japanese Curry and rice without a pre-made mix. So, I tried it out today, and it turned out good. ´The only problem now, is that I need to translate the instructions and measurements to Portuguese and the metric system.

Yesterday at church I had the opportunity to teach the gospel principles class. The topic was "The Creation". It was a really neat experience for me. As we were all learning about the creation, I realized how organized God is, and how much He loves us.
(here´s a link to what I taught yesterday from the Gospel Principles Manual, http://lds.org/manual/gospel-principles/chapter-5-the-creation?lang=eng)

Truly, everything that the Lord has created is for our benefit. Often times we are ungrateful for the many blessings that we have of simply being alive and for the world we live in. We complain about the heat, or the rain, or pollen being blown about by the wind. But did you ever think to stop and really think about the reason for these things? Why do we complain so easily? Why aren´t we grateful for the sun, whose heat warms us and whose light gives light and life? Why aren´t we grateful for the rain that cleanses the air and provides us with water? Why aren´t we grateful for the the wind that pollenates the plants to which sustains our life? We are so blessed, and yet we complain. In reality, we need to be grateful to our Heavenly Father for everything that He gives us. Even our difficulties and problems. How is it that we learn, if not for our trials? I read recently a talk given by Elder Richard G. Scott of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, and he spoke very well about the subject of faith and our trials.

He started by first quoting a scripture in the Book of Ether, then explained.
~“Faith is things which are hoped for and not seen; wherefore, dispute not because ye see not, for ye receive no witness until after the trial of your faith” (Ether 12:6).

Thus, every time you try your faith—that is, act in worthiness on an impression—you will receive the confirming evidence of the Spirit. As you walk to the boundary of your understanding into the twilight of uncertainty, exercising faith, you will be led to find solutions you would not obtain otherwise. With even your strongest faith, God will not always reward you immediately according to your desires. Rather, God will respond with what in His eternal plan is best for you, when it will yield the greatest advantage. Be thankful that sometimes God lets you struggle for a long time before that answer comes. That causes your faith to increase and your character to grow.

It´s very easy find the bad side of things, and even easier to complain. But I want to invite everyone of you to look for the bright side, look for the positive, even in the midst of difficulties and troubles, or even in the things that are simply unfortunate like a particularly warm day. Try to find God´s divine purpose in what happens to and around you. And when you do, let´s remember to thank our Creator for the many blessings He gives us, whether pleasant or unpleasant. I testify that God lives and that He loves us. I know He has a plan for us, and if we are willing and humble we will be able to fulfill our full potential and find a happiness when we count our blessings and look to the brighter side of things. I love you my family and friends.

-Elder Samuel H. Chiba

No comments:

Post a Comment