Monday, December 5, 2011

Carlindo

This past week lots of things happened. On Wednesday, I had my last Zone Conference, so I got to bare my testimony to the other elders.

On Thursday, there was a community wedding held at the church. Over a hundred couples (about 120) were legally wed at the chapel for free. The bishop asked me to sing some hymns. So, because it was a public event the mayor, 5 judges, and the local news were all there. I was a little nervous. When I sang the first hymn, my voice quivered a little, but I held through. (it didn´t help that there was a camera in my face...) The second hymn went over a lot better. Over the next few days, I found out that I was on TV on the local news! That´s the second time in my mission that I´ve appeared on TV. The first time I was singing at a Christmas event in São Luís, which was also covered by the news. So, I´ve been on tv in another country. I´m already getting famous.... (just kidding)

Sunday was fast and testimony meeting at church. Jaiane, who Elder Eberhardt and I had baptized two weeks previous, got up to bare her testimony. It was special. The previous Sunday, a man named Carlindo came to church for the first time, and Elder F. Silva and I taught him once before yesterday. He went up to bare his testimony also. We were kind of nervous because, when someone who isn´t a member of the church goes up to bare their testimony, you never know what they might say. But, Carlindo gave a nice testimony. So, that night we went to his house and invited him to be baptized, and he accepted and is excited to be baptized this Saturday.

Anyway, it´s been a nice week. I hope your first week of December has been nice too. Things are going to be picking up for everyone. Be safe, and don´t get too caught up in the comercial side of the holidays. Take some time to remember why. If material things don´t work out, don´t get upset. Try to do something for the Savior, seeing that it is His birthday. Look for opportunities to help others or invite others to come unto Christ. I know He lives, and that He suffered so that we don´t have to if we believe in Him and follow His example. The gospel is true. I love you all.

-Elder Samuel H. Chiba

No comments:

Post a Comment