Monday, November 28, 2011

Happy Thanksgiving!

Happy Thanksgiving! I hope it was good for everyone. That holiday doesn´t exist here... But it seems that they are starting to get into the spirit of Black Friday here in Brazil. (not too much, but I saw that some places here in Brasil are doing that, it was on the news while we were at lunch)

Anyway, my new companion, Elder F. Silva turned 19 a week or two ago. He started his mission in February. That´s right, he started when he was 18! The church lowered the age for Brazilian missionaries on the conditions that they are finished with high school before their mission. Elder F. Silva is from the south of Brasil just like Elder Eberhardt. He´s also caucasion, so I look more Brazilian than he does. It´s funny, I´ve never had an American companion who looks American, except for Elder Epperson in the MTC. I guess in turn, I´ve never been the American companion who looks American either. I am on the other hand the token Japanese elder in this mission, and everyone knows I am Japanese, a singer, and I cook well. That´s my legend. I guess being tall too. It´s been raining a little bit every once in a while. Thank goodness that Irmã (sister) Marta bought boots for me. I gave her the candy Janet sent, and she and her family were very excited. American candy makes people happy.

Wednesday will be my last Zone Conference, and on Thursday there will be a community wedding held at the church. There are a lot of people who live together here who are not married. You´d be surprised at the rate, so the city council, judges, and politcial people do a community wedding as a service for the people here. Normally people don´t get married because of the cost or the hastle, but they are trying to help the people here. And our church is the nicest church in the whole city. The bishop here is great and opens the chapel up to the community to get the church´s name out there. So, he offered to host the community wedding at the chapel for the second time. It will be nice. We are going to help out too.

Service is a great way to show people that we are followers of Christ. When was the last time you did something to help someone? (just a question for you to reflect on)
I know the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is the true church of God on the earth, and that we are preparing for the second coming of the Messiah. Let´s build the kingdom by serving others.
Anyway, I love you all. I hope you have a great week!

-Elder Samuel H. Chiba

No comments:

Post a Comment